Trung Hoa Assembly hall is at 64 Tran Phu Street, right to Phuoc Kien Pagoda. Established in 1741 with money contributed by the traders of five Chinese counties: Fukien, Zhao Zhou, Canton, Hainan and Jiain, it was then called Duong Thuong Assembly Hall. It is also one of the oldest assembly hall in Hoi An and was the home of Chinese immigrants and dedicated to Thien Hau Holy Mother.
It is also dedicated to other people such as Conficius, Sen-Yat-Jen (the leader of a Chinese revolutionary movement in the early 20th century) and soldiers killed in the anti-Japanese resistance war. The full text of Sen Yat Jen’s Testament is found on the wall, in the backyard of the house.
In 1928, it was renamed Trung Hoa Assembly Hall, then Chinese Public School, and finally Le-Nghia School. for those with no clan house of their own, it now contains a Chinese school, Truong Le Nghia, where children of the diaspora learn the language of their forebears. It is also a school for Chinese overseas in Hoi An.
Unusually for an assembly hall, this hall used to be a place for their countrymen to meet and help one another to do business. There was a stone stele called “Duong Thuong Rules” which stated 10 principles for the Chinese immigrants to do business in Hoi An town.